Tuesday 9 December 2014

Sing and Dance

By: Jamike Ekennia

Move to the sound of the beating drum

It goes on its rhythm - rom pom pom pom
Sway to the colors of the saxophone beat
As you mix it with your hands and kick up your feet
Break it & sway when they play the piano
As the singers sing, in bass and soprano

But why do we sway, we break, and rock?
Why do we clap, we jump and pop?
The bible says by flower or rock
He'll be praised for real - all the way to the top
If we don't praise Him, and if we refuse
To dance out true - to the song of His muse.
So praise Him with timbrel, praise Him with harp
With song and dance - as the psalm says sharp

Classical, new, & the future dance soon
Dance you and clap you to the sound and tune.
As if never before, as if a race will be run
Move your feet - all, on the ground as one.
For the best of ways - to give our thanks
Is to praise His name, to sing and dance


This is a poem I wrote when I was in my schols' church. I saw people clapping and dancing, moving with a passion that i was really quite unused to seeing in a church. Being a catholic, dancing wasn't really part of my church's routine, even though I hear there are some Catholic churches in which that happens. It took me some time before I could actually dance a little in the Church as well, I had to find a good reason to. This poem is written not just for you, but for everyone, myself even, to give a reason....to sing and dance :)

No comments: